The ramblings of a stark raving lunatic follow...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pixelling and teaching

Pixelled up a little baby dragon for a friend, and started animating it (not done yet, gonna add some movement to the head, probably a nostril flare as well):

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"But I want a BIG ONE!"

I think I'll go pull my hair out now.

...

Timelapse of the unicorn speedpaint

...

Spending most of the night hammering away at the keyboard, giving art lessons of sorts to a fairly enthusiastic 14-year-old has reminded me how upset I was at watching two potential teaching gigs in less than two years go up in smoke, through no fault of my own, and of how satisfying it is to see (metaphorically speaking, in this case) that wild-eyed enthusiasm of someone eager to learn, lapping up whatever knowledge you can impart. Maybe I should consider taking my friend up on teaching game art at a local technical school. Pay's pretty shit, though, and I dunno if I want to teach fulltime. There's also the fact that from what I hear, the current faculty is, for the most part, pretty shit at their jobs, and political infighting is rife. :\

Then again, maybe the joy and satisfaction of imparting knowledge to the young'uns, in topics I know and love, might be enough to trump those factors.

Maybe.

Argh.

2 Comments:

Blogger abby - the geek girl said...

As a soon to be high school English teacher I hate to be the one to tell you that teaching has everything to do with that wide eyed enthusiasm and the rush you get from it and Nothing to do with the money. I don't think any teacher is like "hey I will be rich"! LoL! If you like teaching I would suggest trying it out, I think it's one of the most rewarding jobs you can have.

1:04 PM, June 08, 2007

 
Blogger LoTekK said...

Thanks, I definitely hear what you're saying, and agree completely. The rant about the opening my friend told me about was primarily a result of what he told me about the level of (in)competence of the faculty, their accompanying lack of passion and enthusiasm, as well as the amount of political infighting going on within the department. The relatively low pay wasn't nearly as much a factor as the above. I can live on the cheap in a heartbeat, but I'd go crazy having to deal with that sort of bullshit. :\

On another note, congrats on the teaching job, and all the best to you. :)

4:13 PM, June 10, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home